Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Feast of St John the Evangelist


St John in Silence is the title of this icon. The author of the fourth Gospel is portrayed in meditation, contemplating the mystery of the God.
I put a rather ancient icon I own of the same theme in the Church today, I was rather touched when one of my parishioners asked, "Who is St John the patron of, is it mothers?"
"Silly thing", I thought to myself. Then on reflection I thought how much John parallels the Blessed Virgin, who "pondered all these things in her heart". John ponders and then his ponderings burst forth in his great song that is the Fourth Gospel. John is given as Son to Mary at the foot of the Cross and she to him as Mother.
I think Cathy who frets and worries about her adult boys really had an inspired and inspiring thought.

No comments:

The Lord’s descent into the underworld

At Matins/the Office of Readings on Holy Saturday the Church gives us this 'ancient homily', I find it incredibly moving, it is abou...